Thursday, June 9, 2011

TVitis (inflamation caused by too much television)

I have been worried about Syd lately. Worried about her health. See there is a disease that has effected my family, I call it addictedtocomputergamesandwatchingtvitis
I am not a huge fan of TV, and really NOT a fan of video/computer games. I don't understand the people who spend their life addicted to the television. Walk through the door and turn on the tv before doing anything else.... I just don't get it. Spend meals sitting and watching TV.... I could go on and on. I happen to be married to a person who also has this disease. I grew up in a family where this disease has run rampant. And to say that it drives me crazy is an understatement. There have been some huge fights over this very issue, but I just can't get over it.

I'm not completely bashing TV, I have a few shows that I really like and within reason it's totally fine. It's when the TV and games take over your whole life. Now, if you are one of these people it's totally cool, we can always be friends.... I just can't live with you!

Sydnee has lately started showing symptoms that she is developing this disease. I will go to pick her up from my parents and she won't even acknowledge me since she's glued to a computer game, or every single moment she has free time she wants to watch TV.

I decided to bribe her (I will do anything to avoid her growing up addicted to technology) and I bought her 3 books. Actual sit down and take hours to read books. And then told her that if she read them within a week I would take her out to get ice cream and more books. And if she kept it up I would make her prizes BIGGER! If she continued to read all summer we would have a SUPER SPECIAL SURPRISE before school started again. (I'm thinking Six Flags??)

She took that challenge and IMMEDIATELY grabbed a pillow and sat down with the book.

I didn't expect it to be that easy! Seriously, she sat for hours and read the book, and not just flipped pages she completely comprehended the whole book and would at times start giggling while reading.

Don't ask why she decided to sit on the floor.... hey whatever she wants


Love zooming in pictures so she doesn't know Mommy is capturing this AWESOME moment!





I had to leave for work for a few hours. When I came home SHE WAS STILL READING!!! I started teasing her to stop or I was going to go broke buying her things. She read that book until I practically had to pry it out of her fingers because she had to go to bed. But she finished it the next day, along with the next book.... 3 days, she read all her books in 3 days! So I owe her ice cream and a very dedicated trip to the library. I think I need to start a sticker chart so she can track how many books she's reading.

(Don't smile Sydnee, don't smile... she literally would NOT look up from her book! So proud!)






Something good.... Lifetime fitness has become my new favorite place! The pool is so amazing, I'm going to be there EVERY single day I'm not working.


K

No comments:

Post a Comment